Hon. John McKay, M.P.
Scarborough-Guildwood - Liberal
John McKay was first elected as the Member of Parliament for Scarborough East in the 1997 federal election and re-elected in 2000. In June 2004, John was elected to the new riding of Scarborough-Guildwood with 57.5% of the vote. Most recently, John was re-elected in May of 2011 to serve his sixth term in the House of Commons.
John has always lived in Scarborough. He attended five local schools as well as the University of Toronto at Scarborough (UTSC), where he obtained a Bachelor of Arts degree. After graduating he attended Queen’s University where he obtained a Bachelor of Laws degree. After successfully completing the Osgoode Hall Bar Admission course, he went into the private practice of law.
He has assumed leadership positions in the legal community, serving with the Durham Bar Association (Past President), the County and District Law Association (Executive Member), the Canadian Bar Association (Real Estate Executive), and as a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada's Committee on Title Insurance.
John is also the past moderator of Spring Garden Church, Vice-President of CIDO (an organization devoted to community banking in developing nations), and a past member of the Advisory Council of Durham College. He also runs regularly, plays hockey and is an avid golfer.
John is married to Carolyn Dartnell and they have five children.
John’s positions and significant accomplishments in Parliament include:
- Liberal Party of Canada Critic for Defence - 2011 to present
- Chair of the Standing Committee on Government Operations - 2010 to 2011
- Vice-Chair of the Canada-U.S. Inter-Parliamentary Group - 2009 to present
- Sponsor of Bill C-300, a bill respecting corporate accountability for mining, oil and gas companies in developing nations - 2009-2010
- Senior Member of House Finance Committee - 2004 - 2010
- Official Opposition Critic for Small Business and Tourism - 2008
- Successfully sponsored Private Members Bill C-293, An Act Respecting the Provision of Development Assistance Abroad & received Royal Assent May 29, 2008
- Chair of Caucus Committee on Economic Prosperity - 2007 - 2008
- Member of Planning and Priority Committee chaired by Mr. Dion 2007 - present
- Official Opposition Critic for Crown Corporations - 2006
- Chair of the Canada-Caribbean Parliamentary Friendship Group - 2006
- Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Finance - 2004 - 2005
- Head of Canadian delegation at Commonwealth Finance Ministers Meeting - Barbados 2005, St. Kitts 2004
- Successfully sponsored Private Member’s Bill C-260 in the House of Commons to amend the Hazardous Products Act (fire-safe cigarettes) - 2003
- Chair of the Ontario Liberal Caucus - 2002 - 2004
- Vice-Chair of the House of Commons Standing Committee on Justice and Human Rights - 2001-2003
- Chair of the Canada-Taiwan Parliamentary Friendship Group - 2001 - 2004
- Head of Canadian delegation to Taiwan - 2003
- Chair of the National Prayer Breakfast - 2001 & 2002
John is also the recipient of:
- UTSC Alumnus of the Year Award 2000
- Queen’s Jubilee Medal
- University of Toronto Arbor Award
John as a contributing author:
- “Divorcing Marriage”, published by McGill University Press, John contributed the chapter entitled “Confusion on the Hill”
- Book available at Chapters and other book stores.
John regularly debates in the House of Commons on a variety of topics. For speeches click here